The Ventotene and Santo Stefano Islands State Nature Reserve was established by Decree of the Ministry of the Environment on May 11th 1999 (GU n ░ 190 of 14.8.1999). The Management Body is the Municipality of Ventotene.
The establishment of the Reserve pursues, in particular, the following purposes:
- conservation of ecological, vegetal, faunal, geo-morphological and naturalistic-environmental characteristics;
- the management of ecosystems with methods suitable for achieving an integration between man and the natural environment, also by safeguarding anthropological, archaeological, historical and architectural values ??and agro-livestock and traditional activities;
- environmental restoration of degraded ecosystems;
- the promotion of activities compatible with the conservation of the natural resources of the reserve;
- the realization of programs of study and scientific research, with particular reference to the peculiar characteristics of the territory;
- the implementation of environmental education programs.